“From the Wild West to the Nation’s Best”
For the 2017-2018 school year, the GESD #32 Governing Board updated the District Goals. The Governing Board continues to support our district’s efforts as we continue our march toward excellence. They have identified our elementary district as “An Early College Preparation” school district, preparing our students for the future today. Some of the major milestones in meeting the board goals are:
- GESD#32 Marching Band invited to the Annual Hollywood Christmas Parade on November 26, 2017.
- November 9th State Superintendent Diane Douglas scheduled a "We Are Listening Tour" at Southwest Junior High from 6:00-8:00 p.m. inviting interested San Luis Educators and Citizens.
- Governor Ducey visits Southwest Junior High.
- 19 additional classrooms were constructed at Ed Pastor thanks to our community approving a bond election.
- A new Gadsden District Office was officially opened and named after Luis Marquez, a Board Member for the last 28 years.
- Our district Special Education, under the direction of Special Education Director Miguel Gonzales received a 100% rating from the Department of Education.
- The Gadsden Elementary School is the only preschool in Yuma County accredited by the National Education Association for Young Children and has the highest Star Rating from the Arizona Preschool Development Grant.
- Gadsden Marching Band received an invitation to participate in a New Years Parade in Rome, having previously participated in London, England and Madrid, Spain.
- Gadsden Elementary School District #32 has the highest number of High Honors students taking the ACT test for college bound students.
- Southwest Jr. High identified by Johns Hopkins University as a top 10 school in the world for two consecutive years
- Desert View received their 3rd A rating by the state of Arizona; Arizona Desert and Cesar Chavez received a high B; Rio Elementary, Gadsden Elementary, Ed Pastor Elementary, and Southwest Jr. High received a C; and San Luis Middle School received a D.
- Southwest Junior High welcomes Omar Duron as the new Principal and Luis Reyes as the new Assistant Principal.
- Ed Pastor welcomes Maria Camacho as their new principal.
- 16 7th Grade students participate in a week-long summer engineering program with the University of Arizona.
- Over 200 5th, 6th, 7th, and eighth grade students attended Johns Hopkins college summer programs in various U. S. Universities.
- Gadsden 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students once again recognized by Johns Hopkins at the University of Arizona as having the most participants in Arizona.
- Southwest Junior High girls win first Countywide Softball Championship in Gadsden's history.
- 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students continue taking college courses at Arizona Community College.
- In partnership with Arizona Western College and the University of Arizona and Gadsden Elementary School District, four college degrees will be offered at the San Luis Middle School Campus in January 2018.
- A classroom expansion for University of Arizona and Arizona Western College at San Luis Middle School is scheduled for completion in December 2017.
- A partnership with Grand Canyon University and GESD#32 for our employees have enrolled in obtaining their college degrees to teach. Now, each semester will result in continuous student teachers for our district beginning this year. Over 40 employees enrolled two years ago.